MSI Boys Indoor Box League
powered by Heritage Lacrosse
WHY PLAY BOX LACROSSE?
There are many, many reasons why players should play more box lacrosse – this article in Lacrosse Magazine offers some valuable insights – READ ARTICLE
MSI and Heritage are pleased to offer a brand new winter indoor modified box lacrosse league format specifically designed to promote safe and fast play based on key box lacrosse fundamentals and concepts.
2016-17 was the inaugural year of this new league and it was a resounding success. We will continue to build upon that success, and are making some notable investments/improvements to the league/format.
- We have invested in new boards and corners to create a “full box” field to keep the ball in play as much as possible.
- We will be using a shot clock this year to keep the pace of play moving at the speed of box lacrosse
The modified box rules benefit all lacrosse players. Attackmen and midfielders will learn to operate in tight spaces improving stick skills, passing and shooting accuracy. Long sticks are not allowed so defenders will learn to play with their body and feet, improving approach and angle play. Goalies will be instructed on proper box goaltending techniques, including positioning, angles, baiting, etc.
Prior to the season commencing, each team and coach will participate in a 1.5-hour training session with USA Indoor Coach Adam Mueller to learn fundamental box drills, techniques and concepts.
- Modified box lacrosse rules
- 5v5 plus goalies (4’x4′ box goals and goalie equipment will be provided)
- Recommended roster size is 18 players (2 goalies included)
- No long poles
- Each team will play 8 games, followed by playoffs for the top 4 teams in each division
- Each team will have one 1.5-hour box training session (in November) led by USA Indoor Coach, Adam Mueller
- Training program will be for players and coaches and will focus on proper box techniques, including biomechanics, offensive/defensive angles, shooting/finishing, picks, screens, on and off ball play, proper box goaltending techniques
- Once league registration is complete, teams will be notified with designated training date/time slot
- League will provide/loan box goalie gear for teams
- Each team must wear/provide their own reversible pinnies to each game
- League fee = $1850/team ($1750 if paid in full by 9/30/17) and includes training sessions
- Note – In order to maintain scheduling flexibility, a limited number of games may be played on our three-sided indoor field with one side being a touch line.
School, Rec & Club Divisions per below
(tentative groupings and target nights of play below, may be subject to change)
- High School AA (top varsity level programs) – Mon/Tue
- High School A (varsity and JV level programs) – Mon/Tue
- Middle School Varsity (7th and 8th grade) – Wednesdays
- Middle School JV (5th and 6th grade) – Thu/Fri
- 3rd/4th Grade – Thu/Fri
- Boys club (grades 2022, 2023, 2024, 2025) – Thu, Fri, Sat afternoon (3-6pm)
1451 Conchester Highway
Garnet Valley, PA 19060
Registration Deadline – October 31. All teams must be registered and paid in full by October 31.
Coaches’ Meeting – November 6 – Mandatory coaches’ meeting/social (food and beverages provided) to be held on Monday, November 6th, 6:30-8:00 pm, at the MSI Fieldhouse, to review new league format, learning/training objectives, rationale, rules, etc
Training Sessions – November 7-10; 13-16, 6-9pm – one weeknight training session (each team/coach will participate in one 1.5-hour box training session to learn fundamental box techniques/concepts)
League Play – Dec 4, 2017 – Feb 4, 2018 – weeknights – one game/week
MSI/Heritage will send an e-mail message to the team contacts, no later than 3:00 PM, the day of the game, regarding the status of the contests.
SCHEDULE / SPORTSMANSHIP INFO
We will be using the League-Hub website and app to allow teams, players and parents to keep track of scores and standings. We are also using this tool in an effort to emphasize sportsmanship and safe play. Scores and sportsmanship ratings will be publicly available via the League-Hub app and via the web link below. Following each game, the referees will be recording scores and sportsmanship ratings (1 to 5 stars; 5 being the best) for each team (players, coaches and fans). This system worked well last season, and we hope this approach will continue to serve as a positive note to all to have fun and “honor the game”!